Frequently Asked Questions
People travel to Estes Park for exquisite mountain beauty, outdoor recreation, and kid friendly activities. Browse our Estes Park Frequently Asked Questions to learn quick facts about the area.
Useful Phone Numbers:
- Estes Park Visitors Bureau: (970) 577-9900
- Rocky Mountain National Park: (970) 586-1206
- Roosevelt National Forest: (970) 295-6600
- Colorado Department of Transportation: Inside Colorado dial 511. Outside Colorado dial (303) 639-1111.
- Sol Vista Ski Resort: (970) 887-5123
- Eldora Ski Resort: (303) 440-8700
- Winter Park Ski Resort: (970) 726-1564
Where is Estes Park?
Estes Park is on the east side of Rocky Mountain National Park, in north central Colorado.
What are the closest major cities and distances?
Denver is the largest nearby city, about 66 miles away. Other cities include Boulder 37 miles south; Longmont 33 miles southeast; Loveland 30 miles east, and Fort Collins 42 miles away.
Where are the closest airports and distances?
Denver International Airport is about 76 miles away.
What is the average temperature?
Summer temperatures tend to be 60 to high 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter temperatures drop to the 30s and 20s. The coldest month is typically January, with temperatures between 10 and 20 degrees.
What is Estes Park’s population?
As of 2009, the population was over 6,500 people.
What is the elevation in Estes Park?
Estes Park’s elevation is 7,522 feet above sea level.
What are a few Estes Park Fun Facts?
- Estes Park has been a resort destination for 10,000 years, beginning with Ute and Arapaho Indians who traveled here in the summer.
- In 1909, F.O. Stanley designed and built The Stanley Hotel, the first luxurious mountain lodge with running water, electricity, and telephones.
- The Stanley Hotel inspired Steven King’s novel, The Shining.
- Stanley Kubrick’s horror film, The Shining, was not actually filmed at The Stanley Hotel.
- Steven King wanted a more accurate rendition of his novel, so in 1997, The Shining was filmed as a TV mini series with scenes shot within The Stanley Hotel.
What are some good books about the area?
- Day & Overnight Hikes, Kim Lipker
- Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park: Then & Now, James H. Pickering
- Estes Park: A Quick History, Including Rocky Mountain National Park, Kenneth Jessen.
- Longs Peak: The Story of Colorado’s Favorite Fourteener, Dougald MacDonald
Have any movies been filmed in Estes Park?
Scenes from Steven King’s rendition of The Shining—the ABC television mini- series—and scenes from Dumb and Dumber were filmed at The Stanley Hotel.
Activities & Attractions
What are the most popular winter and summer activities?
- Summertime activities include hiking, backpacking, camping, fishing, rock climbing, and summiting Longs Peak.
- Winter’s activities include snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, ice climbing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and downhill skiing at Eldora Ski Resort.
- Ghost Tours of The Stanley are a must-do, year round.
What are some of the best events in Estes Park?
- Estes Park’s Fourth of July fireworks, set-off above Lake Estes, attract hundreds of spectators.
- Estes Park’s Rooftop Rodeo—one of the biggest events of the year—has been awarded the “Best Small Rodeo of the Year” five times.