- The Rocky Mountains provide beautiful trails for camping, hiking, and skiing.
- The wildlife of the Rockies is abundant, even in the busy town of Estes.
- The entrance fee for Rocky Mountain National Park is $20, or you can hike for free on trails outside of the park’s gates.
What can I do in the Rocky Mountains?
- Camping: Don’t miss a chance to sleep under the stars. Rocky Mountain National Park has 5 drive-in campgrounds and over 200 backcountry campsites.
- Hiking: There are 359 miles of trail to choose from in Rocky Mountain National Park. Try hiking to one of the lakes off of Bear Lake Road. For a greater challenge, summit one of the 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado such as Longs Peak.
- Skiing: Eldora and Echo are two of the smaller ski resorts in Colorado, and are the closest resorts to Estes. Eldora is a great place for learning how to ski, and Echo has a large terrain park.
- Wildlife: There are elk, mountain lions, owls, foxes, woodpeckers, squirrels, chipmunks, and countless other animals you can spot from the trails. These animals also roam right in Estes! Lake Estes 9-hole golf course usually has elk calves walking on the green.
Where are the Rockies?
The Rockies are scattered throughout Estes and Rocky Mountain National Park. They also make up a chunk of the Continental Divide.
When is the best time to visit the Rocky Mountains?
All of Colorado’s weather conditions offer fun activities! June-Oct are the warmest months, which are great for hiking and camping. The winter months span Nov-May. Incredible snow hits the Rocky Mountains and brings skiers back every year.
How much does it cost to visit the Rocky Mountains?
You can enter the Rocky Mountain National Park for $20, or you can hike for free outside of the park’s gates. The park’s camping sites are available for a fee. If you go skiing at a resort, you must purchase a lift ticket.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
For any questions you can call the Estes Park Visitor Center at (970) 577-9900 or the Rocky Mountain National Park information office at (970) 586-1206.