- Lumpy Ridge is a favorite spot for traditional climbing
- Estes Park Mountain Shop has a climbing gym, bouldering wall, climbing lessons, and guided outdoor climbs
- The Keyhole Route to Longs Peak is a Class 3 mountaineering challenge
- Colorado Mountain School teaches mountaineering and climbing skills year-round
Where can I go climbing?
This climber’s playground is filled with unbelievable rock formations and granite faces.
A few climbs include Pin Route (5.4) to the top of Twin Owls, Batman and Robin (5.6), and Whale and Hiatus (5.7).
Other classic climbs are J-Crack (5.9), George’s Tree (5.9), Mainliner (5.9), and Fat City (5.10 ).
Most Lumpy Ridge climbs range from 2-5 pitches.
- Type of Climbing: Traditional
- Difficulty: Moderate/Expert
- Location: Enter Estes Park west on US 36. Go north on US 34 (E. Wonderview Ave). Turn right on MacGregor Ave. Turn left on Lumpy Ridge Road. Park at the trailhead.
Estes Park Mountain Shop Climbing Gym
This year-round indoor climbing gym is great for all ages and levels of ability.
They have over 4,500 square feet of climbing terrain, including a 600 square foot bouldering wall.
- Type of Climbing: Sport, Bouldering
- Difficulty: Beginner/Moderate/Expert
- Location: If you drive into Estes Park via US 34, the Mountain Shop is on the south side of the highway. 2050 Big Thompson Ave.
- Cost: 3 climbs for $15. Gym memberships, punch passes, climbing shoes, harness, and belay setup available. Call for information about climbing classes.
- Phone: (970) 586-6548
Where can I go mountaineering?
Keyhole Route Longs Peak
The Keyhole Route is a classic mountaineering crusade.
You’ll pass the route on your way to the summit of Longs Peak, a 14,259-foot peak.
Check with Rocky Mountain National Park for current trail conditions.
- Trailhead: Longs Peak Trailhead
- Distance: 14 miles
- Elevation Gain: 5,100 feet
- Difficulty: Class 3
I am looking for a guide:
There are climbing facilities and guides in Estes Park who can help you master your skills, give you advice on where to go, and even take you on a guided climb.