- Lake Estes Trail takes you around the shores of Lake Estes
- 3.7 miles (approximately 1 hour and 51 minutes)
- This is an easy paved trail for hikers, cyclists and joggers
- Access the trail from the Convention and Visitors Bureau parking area
- Enjoy splendid views and lots of wildlife
Estes Park Trail follows the edge of Lake Estes and the Big Thompson River. Walking or jogging around the lake is the perfect change of pace for visitors coming to visit Rocky Mountain National Park. It’s an easy paved trail that the entire family can enjoy, with splendid views and lots of wildlife.
Take Highway 34 east from downtown Estes Park, Colorado. You can get to the trailhead from the Convention and Visitors Bureau parking area at 500 Big Thompson Avenue.
- Distance: 3.7 Miles
- Average Time of Hike: approximately 1.5-2 hours
- Elevation Gain: Minimal
- Difficulty: Easy
- Trail Type: Loop
- Trailhead: This trail is accessible from Lake Estes Marina, the Visitor Center parking area and along Lake Front Drive.
Plan & Prepare
The altitude at Lake Estes is 7,474 feet, so if you aren’t used to this elevation, it’s wise to take some precautions.
- Slow down your pace, take smaller steps and breathe deeper. This way you won’t overexert yourself.
- Maintain a rhythm to your breathing and stepping. An even rhythm helps you keep a slower pace.
- If you notice you are becoming somewhat breathless, take some deeper breaths and even smaller steps until it is better.
- Wear sunscreen because when you are at high elevations the sun is stronger.
- Sunglasses help so you aren’t squinting a lot and perhaps get a headache.
- Weather can change fast so always bring extra clothes, like a long-sleeve shirt, jacket and rain gear.