- Loch Vale area and Glacier Gorge have a variety of ice and mixed climbs
- Hidden Falls in Wild Basin is a thick waterfall ascent, and one of Rocky Mountain National Park’s most popular climbs
- Colorado Mountain School offers ice and mixed climbing courses and guided trips
Where can I go Ice Climbing?
Womb with a View, Cathedral Wall of Loch Vale
This deep cleft is a mix of rock, casual snow and ice, and a final ascent up a hanging ice curtain.
- Type of Climbing: Trad, Mixed, Ice, 5 pitches, Grade III
- Difficulty: WI5, M6, Intermediate Ice/Mixed
- Location: From Rocky Mountain National Park’s Bear Lake Trailhead or Glacier Gorge Trailhead, hike or snowshoe past Loch Lake. Continue towards Glass Lake and Sky Pond. Cathedral Wall is the northwest (right of the trail). Womb with a View is the left of the two deep clefts in Cathedral Wall.
Hidden Falls, Wild Basin
Hidden Falls is a classic waterfall climb in Wild Basin, and one of the most popular climbs in Rocky Mountain National Park. Wild Basin also has several other ice and mixed routes.
- Type of Climbing: Trad, Ice, 1 pitch, 90 feet
- Difficulty: WI3-4
- Location: Go south on CO 7. After Meeker Park turn right (west) towards the Wild Basin entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park. From Wild Basin Trailhead, snowshoe, hike, or ski about 1.5 miles in. Hidden Falls is past Copeland Falls, and is on the south side of the creek.
Wham Couloir, Loch Vale
Wham Couloir is an ascent up a narrow gully. It sits immediately to the right of the namesake spire on the south face of Otis Peak. Loch Vale area has many impressive ice and mixed climbs, which are rated easy to advanced.
- Type of Climbing: Trad, Mixed, Snow, 3 pitches, 800 feet, Grade III
- Difficulty: M4, Easy Snow
- Location: From Rocky Mountain National Park’s Bear Lake Trailhead or Glacier Gorge Trailhead, hike or snowshoe past Loch Lake. Approach the south face of Otis Peak and The Wham Couloir.
I am looking for a guide.
Colorado Mountain School offers Ice Climbing courses for all levels of experience, from introductory to lead climbing. They even offer mixed climbing with both ice and rock.