Where is Grand Lake?
Grand Lake, Colorado, is on the southwest corner of Rocky Mountain National Park. From Estes Park, drive west on US 36. Turn on US 34, which becomes Trail Ridge Road. Continue on Trail Ridge Road. Turn left (east) on W. Portal Road.
What sort of Services and Amenities does Grand Lake offer?
Whatever you need, Grand Lake has a wide selection! Stay overnight in a lodge, cabin, or campground. Dine out at a steakhouse, pub, or café. In between all of the recreational activities, don’t forget to stop in the galleries, stores, and trading posts. Did you forget trail gear? Don’t worry, you can rent ATVs, snowmobiles, and boats right here!
What can I do or see in Grand Lake?
- Rocky Mountain National Park: Grand Lake is the western gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, which has over 200 backcountry campsites and 359 miles of trails.
- Grand Lake Boardwalk: Grand Lake was founded in 1881. Over a century later, you can still stroll down the historic boardwalk on Grand Avenue. Now, there are more than 60 storefronts, restaurants, and galleries on the boardwalk. Experience this parcel of the true Wild West!
- The Beach at Grand Lake: From this sandy spot next to Grand Lake, you can dive into plenty of activities. Swim, fish, kayak, paddle, row, or relax.
- Grand Lake Yacht Club: One of the oldest yacht clubs in the West, and one of the highest yacht anchorages in the world!
- Shadow Mountain Fire Lookout: Hike 3.3 miles to climb this three-story lookout tower! Views stretch to Grand Lake, Arapaho National Forest and Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Cascade Falls: Hike several miles to this waterfall that cascades into Grand Lake.
- Grand Lake Fireworks: Grand Lake is known for the largest fireworks display in Colorado on the 4th of July.
- Snowmobiling: Grand Lake is one of the top spots for snowmobiling in the United States! Don’t miss out on over 300 miles of trails.
- Fishing: Toss your line into Grand Lake or Shadow Mountain Lake. Wade into one of the rivers. In these waters, you can catch various types of trout, Mackinaw, and Kokanee.
- ATV Trails: More than 100 miles of ATV trails are in the area!
- Boating: Grand Lake is the deepest natural lake in Colorado. Enjoy the breeze on as you sail. Go waterskiing. Or, float through the water as you fish. Shadow Mountain Lake and Lake Granby are close by, and between all three lakes, there are several boat launches and rental services.